Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Hey Everybody It's Ok to Make Fun of Fat People Again!


The new Betty Draper which launched a million OMFG's

Against my wishes, they decided to thrust Betty Draper back into our faces, fat first. I don't know if you've noticed or anything but she's kind of put on some weight since last we saw her. And apparently, we as the public cannot get enough of making fun of it, myself included. In this day and age where rapid escalation in bullying has become a serious life-threatening issue, it's nice that we can still sit anonymously behind our computers and ridicule chunky people in the media with impunity. 
Now I'm sure that when we all tuned into the second episode of the 5th season of Mad Men (2007 - present) we were all 'how did Paula Deen finagle her way to AMC?'
You see what I did there? I'm speaking out against internet ridicule and simultaneously engaging in it. That makes me a very special type of hypocrite.
It probably has a lot to do with the fact that none of us really like Betty Draper, in fact she's one of those women we love to hate. My office was agog with comments around the water cooler about how gross she looked. When honestly, it's about time that girl put on a few. We as the public love to see seemingly flawless people be given their comeuppance for being so apologetically hot and better than the rest of us, so when they're taken down a few pegs (i.e. fat-suit and body double) then there's no better schadenfreude.
We can all sleep soundly knowing that even Betty porcelain-doll Draper is not above getting old and getting fat like the rest of us. 
Excuuuuuuuuuse me for having tits. J-Law's new spread in Glamour magazine. Take that skinny bitches!
This is coming off the heels of internet outrage about Jennifer Lawrence being too 'supple' to play a starving teenager in The Hunger Games (2012), which basically translates into people thinking she's a fatty just because she has a normal female form and her rib cage isn't protruding out of her chest. I thought we were over the whole women have to look like they're in the terminal stages of heroin addiction a long time ago, and all of a sudden we can't embrace a full-bodied figure because we all want to fit into Ellen Page's jeans? Um, I'll call BS. 

Remember when heroin chic was a thing? I blame all of my body issues on it to this day. 

No comments: