Friday, April 1, 2011

The Season Of The Witch

Still from 'The Fall of the House of Usher'
So I'm browsing the youtubes, getting ready for a conference presentation i have in a couple weeks, (shameless plug), and decided I wanted to listen to one of my favorite bands Donovan. I clicked on 'Season of the Witch' and up pops this amazingly fabulous video that someone put together for the song consisting of little known European films from the 1920's. I love finds like this. European films from this era were certainly dark, malevolent, and visually stunning. The way they portray deviants is something that will always aesthetically stick with you. I would argue that these portrayals are even more powerful horror and sexuality wise than anything we are able to do now in terms of truly terrifying or titillating the voyeur. Enjoy. Sadly films like this went out as quickly as they came in, and are very seldom remembered, if you would like to experience further I would recommend Jean Epstein's 'The Fall of the House of Usher", or anything by Carl Theodore Dreyer. There's a surreal yet visceral quality to these films that blends horror and sensuality beautifully. 

No comments: