Monday, March 14, 2011

Strange-Love



Ok people, I know my blog is regarding film and television and other various forms of media (excluding Chris Crocker) but I'm making an exception here considering how much I love the grunge self-proclaimed crazy-bitch version of Marilyn Monroe, who looks like her corpse, and still refuses to apologize for anything.
I figured after my 'No Imitations' post about Marilyn imitators, I think it very appropriate to cover Courtney Love. In no way is she an imitation, but she's a kind of opposing doppleganger. Troubled, unique, and fuck-all about anyone else, with a big heart and oozing with creativity, I think the two women have more than just hair color in common.
Also, lest we forget, Courtney actually did act in a few choice films in the 90's, (Sid & Nancy, Man on the Moon, 200 Cigarettes and so on) and not too badly if I might add, earning a Golden Globe nom for her portrayal of Althea Flynt in Miloš Forman's The People vs. Larry Flynt (1996). So covering her in this blog seems perfectly appropriate. The once truly amazing doc show 'Behind The Music' that has in recent years completely sold out and lost its thunder is back with vengeance this season with the premiere of their two hour special on Love in October of 2010. If there was ever a perfect candidate for profiling on that series, it's Love, and a lot of us wondered why it hadn't happened earlier. And here's why; Love never ceases to shock. Every time we think she's hit rock bottom and is going to clean up her act (once again) she drops even lower only to rise every time like the phoenix she is. It's not like we're rooting for her or anything, we are just enjoying the ride. And not yet has there been such a thorough insight into her life and her completely convoluted and yet fascinating mind. It's finally on the youtubes. so Please take an afternoon to check it out, for everything we can say about Love, at least she's not boring.

PART 1 OF BEHIND THE MUSIC ON COURTNEY LOVE. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I used to love Courtney. Until i watched Nick Broomfield's Kurt and Courtney and she began to revolt me.